ATV / Off-Road Trips
The forest surrounding the city of Custer has become a very popular destination for ATV and off-roading enthusiasts.
However, off-roading has been restricted in the Black Hills National Forest to help curb the damage and wildlife disturbance created by these types of vehicles. For more information, please visit the Forest Service website.
For information regarding Off-Highway Vehicles in State Parks, please visit the Game, Fish & Parks website.
You can find ATV and Off-Road Permits at the following locations:
- Bearlodge Ranger District (Mon-Fri), 101 S 21st St, Sundance, WY (605-283-1361)
- Black Hills Parks & Forests Assoc. locations at Wind Cave National Park
- Jewel Cave National Monument
- Black Hills National Forest Supervisor’s Office
- Forest Service Supervisor’s Office (Mon-Fri), 1019 N 5th St (605-673-9200)
- Hell Canyon Ranger District (Mon-Fri), 330 Mt Rushmore Rd, Custer (605-673-4853)
- Hell Canyon Ranger District (Mon-Fri), Hwy 16, Newcastle, WY
- Mystic Ranger District, 8221 S Hwy 16, Rapid City (605-343-1567) open 7 days/week
- Northern Hills Ranger District, 2014 N Main St, Spearfish (605-642-4622)
- Black Hills, Badlands, & Lakes Visitor Center, I-90/Exit 61, Rapid City (605-355-3600)
*ATV Trail maps are available at the above locations.
Things to Remember about Off-Roading
- All vehicles must be licensed if they travel on South Dakota roads. ATV's may not be used on the Interstate, Highways or other high-speed, marked roadways.
- ATVs operated in state parks must be equipped with a horn, mirror, headlight, brake light, brakes and a license plate. Operators must be 14 years of age or older and possess a valid driver's license.
- Eye protection is required of all users on public/park roads unless a windshield is in place.
- Helmets are required of all users under 18 years of age.
- Vehicle recreationists have a responsibility to care for the land by staying on designated motorized routes and following travel management regulations for the particular area in which they are riding.
Custer Car & UTV/ATV Rentals
Location: 25112 Golden Valley Rd, Custer SD 57730
Phone: 605-673-6600 888-978-2267
Cars * SUV's * Mini-Vans * 15 Passenger * Campers * ATV. All vehicle drivers must be 25 or older. Valid driver's license required, proof of insurance required, valid credit card required. Unlimited Black Hills Area mileage. Free entrance pass to Mt Rushmore and Custer State Park on each vehicle. Custer Area pickup available.